Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Creating Art with Your Hands

Well this past week I kind of for got to blog (sorry). I was really busy going to Saint Francis on friday for an art workshop. I got to go and sculpt in a college art room it was a very good learning expierence plus it was alot of fun! The process of making a figure was quite interesting. First I had to start out by creating a metal skeleton for my figure using wire. We took wire and began to twist it into the shape of a body, we had to make two wire bodies because you then took thinner wire and tied them together. This created a stronger skeleton to sculpt with. After wrapping wire around the major body parts, I had to create a slurry which helps hold the cement ,which is what we sculpted with, to the wire armeture. Then came the really messy part, I had to mix concrete into fine strands of steel wool until it became a clay like substance. Lastly we take the concrete mixture and began applying it to the skeleton of wire we created. The whole expirence there was so much fun, plus I got to eat actually good food for lunch instead of the school lunches at homestead.
Also last Saturday I took a college visit to Saint Francis which showed me everything there, the campus is so beautiful and the clare dorm is the one I am hoping to get in.

No comments:

Post a Comment